Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Puducherry (Pondicherry)

I'll start this post off by saying that I have some sweet pics to post but I forgot our cord thingy that connects my camera thing to the computer thing....sorrrry.

We're in Puducherry--or as locals call it Pondy. It's a bustling town but the area we're staying in is pretty quiet (sort of). We managed to stay in some sweet ashrams here in Pondy--Sri Aurobindo's 'shrams. (Sasha, you're totally right, the actual ashram is a trip out zone).

I'm bummed I can't show you pics...we have a great one of Dan getting an elephant pat pat on the head...so rad. Lakshmi the elephant is beautiful.

I also visited a weaving co-op today. I bought a handwoven napkin (yes just one so far cause it's a bit early in the trip for me to be carrying lots of stuff)...the napkin was a mere 22 rupes which is about 50 cents. Hand woven. I have some sweet pics of the co-op too...the length of warps they weave are amazing.

The food continues to be amazing although Dan and I are going to attempt more street cart food...is that a bad idea? I don't think so. I figure that if we see a stand with lots of locals eating there, it should be relatively safe.

I also bought some yummy Indian sweets. When I went up to the stand to buy them, I was curious as to what each thing was so I asked the guy behind the counter. He came around and started pointing to things and said "cake, Indian sweets, sweets, sweets"..... Thanks. I asked him what this one particular round thing was and he said "something in Hindi". So I bought it cause the description was so good. Thanks again Indian guy.

We're staying in Pondy for a bit longer, depending if we can get our same room for a few extra days...if not, we are off to Auroville. Another trip out zone--I'll post all about it but it's a crafts person's Mecca.

xo
a

0 comments: