Sunday, January 9, 2011

Mal...

Dan and I have decided to stay in Mal for an extra day...that was decided this morning over a big pot of masala tea. We were going to go on to Pondicherry today but that will happen tomorrow instead.

We have wondered quite a bit around Mal. It's a nice mix of touristy accommodations and "real" stuff...we have spent a lot of time on the beach too.....it's always nice and warm which I love. I end up just lounging a lot and going to check out monuments like the Krishna Butter Ball which is part of a whole sweet monument area.

And somehow all this fills our day. Today we are going to check out more temples and monuments--there is also some beach time in our future.

Some general observations about India so far....there is garbage everywhere! In fields, on the beach...not covered in garbage but lots of litter. There are also cows everywhere---them being sacred and all although no one really takes care of them. There was a pretty huge cow gathering on the beach yesterday...lots of babies which was cute. Also women here don't wear bathing suits--they go into the water with pants and a shirt, often in their salwar kameezes, sometimes saris. Men wear shorts or a bathing suit.

Oh the food...delicious. I have been eating lots of curry and rice. Lots and lots of tea too. I managed to find a Thumbs Up soda but I haven't tried it yet--I have been keeping my eyes open for a masala soda. I'm sort of easing slowly into the food as to not upset the delicate balance of it all. Oh and I had a coconut naan--that was super delicious. It was a flat bread stuffed with cooked coconut and spices. Yum.

xo

0 comments: