Saturday, February 26, 2011

Greetings

Greetings blog readers, Sorry again for the lack of posting....maybe I don't need to keep apologizing. If you're wondering where we are, we're in Goa now--on Patnem Beach, which is lovely. We also spent a couple of days at Om Beach in Gokarna (Dan is updating our blog map)...and again very nice. India def does not have a lack of nice beaches.

We have some pics to post but of course I did not bring what's needed to do such a thing so I will post soon.

Oh we also spent a couple of days in Kannar where I visited another weaving co-op...weavers don't make much in India even as part of a co-op (which I was told this one has profit sharing). The cloth they are weaving is mostly for dhotis, shirts, sheets and towels. I have pics of this visit including the huge warping mill they use to organize metres and metres of warp. Mostly I've seen weaving with cottons since that's what everyone seems to wear (everyday wear)--I think it has to do with how warm it is here and that they grow so much of it here too.

Oh and thank you to all of you who sent your bday wishes--we spent the day on a train trying to get beach side (where we were upgraded for free cause we met this super sweet Indian who was so nice to us cause it was my bday--yes I blurted it out--I really wanted air conditioning!)

We tend to do that after a particularly polluted stay somewhere. Yes, India has lovely beaches and beautiful temples and such but everyday little town or city India can be really stinky. Oh the smells. It's not just the fumes from exhaust (although that's the one that seems to clog up my sinuses the most), it's the smell of other.... things. Most exciting is when you get a whiff of something not so pleasant and on that same breeze you get the smell of flowers (which Indian ladies wear in their hair) or spices!

Enough rambling...We're off to have some ice cream under our mosquito net--we're staying in a thatched hut and the mosquitoes by the beach are always the worst but you can't beat the sound of waves at night.

xo
a

0 comments: